Friday, May 9, 2014

Homemade, Fast and Better Oatmeal for breakfast even an 8-year-old can make

You often hear a good breakfast starts your day off right.  With all of the things that seem to cause tummy troubles (dairy, eggs, sugary cereals etc) I was looking for a low cost, totally homemade, healthy easy alternative to the oatmeal packets that you cook in the microwave.  I had been trying different combinations of super grains added to my oatmeal concoctions like millet (very yummy but takes longer to cook), buckwheat, quinoa, flax seed etc.  I found a combo I love and the kids all love it and it's still fast!  It takes about 7 minutes on the stove top or easily done in the rice cooker in about 25 minutes (put it in, turn it on, shower to get ready, eat breakfast).  My rice cooker has a delay timer so I can put it in the night before and wake up and it's ready.
I taught my 8-year-old how to make it since he is always the first one up in the morning. Let me know what you think.  

I would have posted a picture of the finished product but the kids ate it too fast. It looks like oatmeal.




4 cups of quick oats (or regular rolled oats)
8 cups of boiling water 
1/4 teaspoon of Sweetspice or cinnamon & nutmeg mixture 
1/4 cup of hemp hearts 
1/4 cup of cashew meal (it's just ground up raw cashews)
2 TBS of sugar or sugar alternative (I like Xylitol or coconut sugar)
1 tsp of salt
Add boiling water to all the ingredients or add cold water to all the ingredients and bring to boil, once it's boiling turn it off and let it sit for five minutes covered.
If you use regular oats instead of quick oats let it cook on low for five minutes instead of sitting off for five minutes. The hemp hearts add an extra bit of healthiness and the cashew meal makes it really creamy. We serve it with milk or milk alternative and sometimes we add a little bit extra brown sugar. They always eat it all. Since even my 8-year-old son can make it, my 10 year old daughter will soon be making it (not one to be outdone by her younger brother.)


If breakfast is the last thing on your mind when you wake up in the morning because all you want to do is go back to bed because sleep is the last thing happening at your house, give me a call to help you with a sleep plan.  Then, once you and your child are sleeping through the night, we can talk about what's for breakfast.

Tracy Spackman 602-524-7610
www.GetQuietNights.com
https://www.facebook.com/QuietNights

No comments:

Post a Comment