Friday, November 27, 2015

2 year old bedtime battles

Question:  My 2 year old puts up a fight with me if I put her to bed. If my hubby does it she goes down without a fight. Same with naps. I'm with her more than he is and she prefers me over him most of the time. Hubby is about to take a third shift job so bedtime will be completely up to me. What do I need to do to make things go more smoothly?

Answer:  This may be a power issue. Two year olds start to realize that they are not the center of the universe and that you have relationships outside of them and want more power and control with independence. 

Try making a bedtime book. This give her more power. Make a list of all the things you do at bedtime. Take a photo of her doing it. Snack, teeth, pj, story, kisses, etc. Put them in order and slip them into a photo book and call it your bedtime book. When it's time for your bedtime routine, give her the book and ask her what comes first? She will feel like she is more in charge of her bedtime by following the book and telling you what comes next. 

Tip: This works best when you catch her sleep window and are putting her into her bed before she is yawning and rubbing her eyes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment